Friday, October 26, 2007

reading of the week - Osteoporosis

Someone passed a comment to me last week that I don't read. Yeah, I agree to it 100%. Why? No time? Too busy with work? Too busy with personal things? Too busy doing nothing? Or simply malas? Hmmm.... MALAS is the most correct answer. Hehehe.

I do read during my free time, but most of them are creative writings, novels, chic-novels etc. After the hectic work life I go through daily, these type of books put my mind at ease. But that does not mean I'm a dumb girl. I have my info and general knowledge from newspaper, forwarded emails, when I lepak with my friends and they start to discuss about global warming, economics etc (usually I'm the one sitting quiet and absorb information, but I do participate by asking questions for things I don't understand, or give my sincere/dumb/professional opinion). Or worst case scenario, tanya ja la kalau tak tau atau tak faham kepada orang-orang yang berpengetahuan.

This morning I noted about Osteoporosis in SUN paper. So I spend some time reading/look out for info in the internet about Osteoporosis. My opah is having that problem now. Last week, during the raya break, I had spend some time with her at Gombak, taking care of her. She is so fragile. I was really afraid that I will crush her. Since her bones are very fragile now, she can't stand/sit/walk without assistance. She can't stand straight, dah seriously bongkok tiga.

Below are type of people that can easily expose to Osteoporosis :
1) Alcoholics
2) Smokers
3) Overweight (alamak, I am in this category!)
4) Low physical fitness (being kurus, kalau tak fit, no point juga!)
5) Excess physical fitness : this is not good. Excersive exercise can lead to constant damages to the bones apparently that can cause exhaustion of the bone structures. For women, if you exercise heavily, it can lead to amenorrhea (suppression of your menstrual cycle) which can decrease your estrogen levels. (huh, tak leh exercise lebih-lebih? camne nak kurus? takpe, moderate, mesti moderate. Tak kurang, tak lebih)
6) Softdrinks lovers

We can't change for what we have done, ate, did to ourself in the past. But we can start change now for a better life. A lot of malay women don't like to drink milk (a good source for calcium to prevent osteoporosis), and I know quite a number of people, including me, tak makan sayur. Busy kerja la, where got time to exercise? Start to love your body and your health. It is never too late to change. As we grow old, all of us are tend to get osteoporosis, but by practising good life-style from now, it will lower our risk.

Need more information on osteoporosis, GOOGLE ah sendiri. Hehehehe.

This is opah and myself morning of first day raya. I had a good time with her that raya week. Next week's reading is on flying and aeroplanes. Need to prepare myself before going for my joyride soon.

Take care everyone, have a good weekend!


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home